I really cannot express how much I dislike the forced camera changes in Guild Wars 2 with the latest patch. My wonderfully tall Norn lady feels horribly awkward to play with the camera now cutting off her feet and legs when I try to keep the camera zoomed to how it was before, and zooming as far out as the game apparently wants me to to actually see her means subjecting myself to some serious disorientation with how far away I am.
Would it really have been so difficult to give us an options to *not* use the change? My character feels unplayable now…
Electric Blue Lava Flows From Indonesia’s Deadly Kawah Ijen Volcano
There is a group of volcanoes in Indonesia that spew lava that burns with brilliant blue flames. Located in East Java, the Ijen volcano complex is a group of stratovolcanoes that are highly composed of sulfur, which when ignited produces a distinct blue-colored flame. At night when one of the active volcanoes of Ijen erupts, red lava flows run down the sulfuric slopes clothed in bright blue flames, resulting to an eerie, otherworldly spectacle. (via When On Earth)
Big norn, tiny human - one of my favorite things. This one’s for Arinwei!
This will probably be the only one for today, sadly. My hand is protesting these last couple days, so I’m gonna let it rest tonight!
((Valeina is the tall lady on the right, Aliys is da lil cute on the left))
New Artcraft featuring the draenei female model!
She looks really awesome. I hope there continues to be a reddish brown hair shade, rather than it being a warm black as shown in these shots!
I have no idea when this sale will end, but the sale is happening now, so buy the damn game. THERE IS NO MONTHLY FEE, and while there’s a cash shop, the only things in it are cosmetic items and what I call “lazy bum items” that just make stuff marginally easier. YOU CANNOT PAY TO WIN. I have only once spent money in this shop, for an extra character slot, and I am on the same level as the rest of my guildmates who have spent money. So that $25 gets you everything below!
Note that you should hold off on actually playing until April 15, even though you should buy now. Reason being, on April 15 an ENORMOUS patch is happening that’s going to significantly change the way the game plays, to the point that even veterans like me (played since beta) are doing to need to do some serious adjusting, so you’ll be on an even playing field with everyone and get to learn the new system right away, without any awkward re-adjustment. Furthermore, these changes will ensure that low level zones will be fully populated! So you won’t need to roam alone :)
With that said, TUMBLR! WHY THE HELL SHOULD YOU BUY GUILD WARS 2!? WHY IS THIS THE PERFECT GAME FOR YOU?
Tumblr likes media representation. Let me tell you about representation in Guild Wars 2.
1. CANON INTERRACIAL QUEER COUPLE WITH A HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP THAT IS CENTRAL TO THE NARRATIVE. “IT’S PROBABLY JUST QUEERBAITING!” YOU SAY. “NO IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT QUEERBAITING CHECK OUT THIS ADORABLE BIG DAMN KISS" I SAY
» There are also other queer characters in the background of the game. Though not prominently featured and sometimes hard to spot, they absolutely exist, both male and female, and yes, not Sylvari (there’s at least one Norn, Charr, and Asura)… and in my opinion, subtle background queers are just as important for representation as big damn kisses.
2. Characters of color! THEY’RE EVERYWHERE. A few paltry examples! In addition to miss Majory Delaqua up there, who as a Canthan is basically Chinese… and note that both Cantha and Elona are not just FANTASY CHINA and FANTASY AFRICA, but treated as very diverse continents in their own right. Cantha has provinces that draw from very distinct elements of East Asian culture (including far western China where it borders Russia, Mongolia, and Southeast Asia) with each area treated as distinct places with their own traditions rather than “lol idk asia mashup”; while Elona does the same with various North African cultures. While we can’t go to those continents yet, influences from those cultures appear everywhere, and the human kingdoms are treated as very diverse.
3. Characters with disabilities where the disabilities are not unnecessarily focused on or made into either a superpower or a reason for the character to be sad! Tybalt Leftpaw has a prosthetic right hand, which does come up a few times and occasionally hinders him, but isn’t a source of angst or a reason for him to stop adventuring. Taimi has what is probably muscular dystrophy, for which there’s no cure in the Guild Wars universe either. She uses a golem to get around (golems are as common in the GW2 universe as cell phones are in 21st century New York, so it isn’t unusual for her to own one). Again, no angst, just “It’s a thing that’s part of my life and it makes things hard sometimes but I deal with it in my own way.”
4. Women in positions of importance and power everywhere with varying personalities and types of “strength.” Kasmeer Meade, mentioned in the beginning, is a very traditionally feminine woman who dresses like the average fantasy protagonist. Ellen Kiel, who the PLAYERS voted in as basically a senator, dresses like a sensible person and IS, overall, a sensible person: hard working, sometimes out of her depth, with a will to do good. In fact, in the recent Living Story updates (the ongoing story), of the eight new major players introduced in the story (as in, the big movers and shakers, essentially main characters), six of them were female. 75%! This actually led certain members of the male playerbase to get huffy and screech about omg too many WOMEN in this game DONT U KNO GIRLZ DONT PLAY gAEM
Too bad for them ‘cause Anet wants us playing :)
This goes to the character design as well — none of the three nonhuman races are traditionally ~teh sexay~. While the Sylvari look humanoid (they were spawned from a magic tree that based the template for her creations off of a human who had planted her seed; long story) they have a VERY alien and sometimes unsettling look to them. Charr women, while visibly identifiable as female (they look like female lions), don’t have breasts, and are VERY non-human. Same with the Asura.
IF THAT IS NOT ENOUGH TO GET YOU TO PLAY… here’s cool shit about the game mechanics
1. Every two weeks, there’s a new content update. Every two weeks. And these aren’t just tiny bugfixes or patches, but a huge, ongoing, evolving storyline. You will never be bored. How much do they change? Well, they just BLEW UP THE FUCKING CAPITAL CITY / MAIN HUB. IT IS GONE, PROBABLY FOR THE NEXT YEAR. HOLY SHIT.
"Yeah but can players affect things" Yes! … sometimes. They’re getting better at this. Last year, we voted in Ellen Kiel over Evon Gnashblade onto the Captain’s Council, and this later gave us a new dungeon and changed some elements of the plot… some pretty significantly, at least with Evon’s storyline. Also, player opinion on Kasmeer Meade and Majory Delaqua saved them: in the original draft (datamined by an enterprising player), Majory dies, and Kasmeer becomes bitter. But Anet hearing players say things like "I hope Majory doesn’t die because I’m tired of dead queer characters :(" along with "THEY ARE MY FAVORITE THING" meant that they changed the ending FOR US, despite having actually recorded the voice acting. So… if you want things to be in the game, you CAN get them, if you’re vocal about them.
2. You cannot killsteal. You cannot steal resource nodes. You cannot steal loot. Everything in the game is cooperative, everyone gets a share of the EXP and, in fact, in a party, you actually get MORE EXP and loot. EVERYTHING is designed to be collaborative and cooperative so everyone helps everyone else, and it’s very difficult to troll or disrupt gameplay. This leads to an overall very friendly play environment where people are always willing to help out in the field. You see a guy fighting a boss out in the middle of nowhere? Go help him! You BOTH get loot, so EVERYONE WINS! HOORAY WINNING.
3. On the 15th, you’ll be able to reset your build at any time, and all your cool armor gets put into a locker so you have access to all the neato skins all the time. PRETTY PRINCESS DRESSUP.
4. Awesome goofy annual holiday events, like April Fool’s (this year we all turned into giant bobbleheads), Halloween (when the Mad King breaks through into this realm and everything goes apeshit), Wintersday (when a crazy magitek Santa arrives on his GIANT ROBOT AIRSHIP to give us all presents!), and Super Adventure Box (DID YOU ENJOY N64 GAMES!? HERE HAVE ONE IN YOUR MMO).
5. Dynamic combat that’s very easy to learn but still provides room for dedicated people to master. lots of dodging and motion involved!
OKAY NOW BUY THE GAME.
Reblog to main blog, since people on my side blog, most likely already have a copy, and if anyone was ever interested in the game. :D
The game has a great tumblr community too, join us, join us! :D
I urge all of my followers to give it a go, if you have the cash spare! It’s the best entertainment investment I’ve ever made, and it’s easy to drop out of the game for weeks or months and hop back in—there’s no pressure to play 24/7 to make it feel “worth it.” So yes, come join us with our canon queer ladies and sentient trees. It’s a fantasy game with teleportation and cheeseburgers, what more can you ask for.